Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Piano Man

Today was my brother Bruce's memorial service. I, along with my husband (vox), niece (flute), friend (violin), offered music. The musicians I played with today are awesome. The music was beautiful (save for my accidental accidentals :))... I look forward to playing some duets with my niece in the future for fun!... today, the very first time we've played together, what a gift... and with Joe and Michelle I'll be collaborating again in the next couple of weeks. The treat of that is that my children get to hobnob and play hard with my friend's five, count them five! children! They have so much fun... yes, the music was nice (upon arrival I asked a family friend to offer a verse in Swedish for "Children of the Heavenly Father" and she obliged. Lovely and sweet addition.) My niece said as she unpacked her shiny flute, "Well, this isn't the music Bruce would have wanted... but." She couldn’t help but chuckle, tongue in cheek and said with a fondness. But, I'm not certain that she is right. It's not what he would have played, but he was always affirming of the classical music emanating from the piano; to my voice, he quipped, "What'd ya do with the money Mom gave you for voice lessons?"... but re: keys, he was a true supporter, and would tell me I should audition for Julliard (he talked big) but I was neither convinced or motivated to that degree, and found my ego was kept in check by my other brother who, thankfully affirmed my vocalizations, but trampled on my keys, dutifully, nightly pounding retorts on the ceiling to my practice sessions (to which I’d dutifully and aggressively play louder.) But nevertheless. Back to the story, my niece was alluding to the fact that Bruce was a jammin' awesome piano man. I lamented I'd never 'experience' his piano again after he had had his stroke. Others remember it, too. Like Babette's food, there are those who knew and savored Bruce's piano.

We visited at the service with our friends for whom we will play again this year, church program for their senior group and it will be a great time. Preparation for it is really fun, like I said. Then I will be gearing up for a little studio time, since I have to get moving on it... new songs are bumping the old ones, and the old ones aren't recorded yet! I can't wait. And until then, I look forward to collaborating with some musicians for a special concert this spring or early summer. God-willing.

Bruce's favorites he'd faithfully play upon visiting my piano bench were "Something in the Way She Moves..." "The Entertainer" and "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" that he always played for the woman who married him and bore his children... he never stopped playing that song; for them, I think it was a love song. I'd stand and watch and nod, the piano would rock the house down, until the somber nostalgia of the tunes of yesterday and his expression would not allow me to move.

But, thanks be to God, I can move now. And so can he.

Until my next 'note' have a 'rest'-filled journey!

0 comments:

jillriter.com - View my most interesting photos on Flickriver
Wordle: jillriter.com